Interface Newshub
NewsNGOS / Rights GroupsOil & Gas

BNC Demands Allocation of 70% Edo State Component of Niger Delta Projects to Edo South

—Even as Dr. Abubakar Momoh Fails to Honour HOR Summons

The Benin National Congress, BNC, has made a demand on the Minister of Niger Delta Affairs to reapportion the Projects which pertain to Edo State in the Ministry’s 2024 Budget to reflect a 70%allocation to the oil producing communities in the state while the the remaining 30%is used to take care of the needs of the other zones in the state.

This position taken by the BNC was contained in a letter read by the President of Benin National Congress, BNC Amb. Aiyamenkhue Edokpolo during the public hearing at the Federal House of Representatives Committee on Public hearing. The Minister did not turn up for the hearing.

Ambassador Edokpolo argued that it is unheard anywhere that Edo South where the oil deposits are located could be excluded from projects and infrastructure development meant for the Edo South calling the action of the Minister as misplaced and disingenuous.


The prayers of the BNC are: ” That the capital projects allocation and/or appropriation be reviewed with a clear 70% (seventy per cent) to 30% (thirty per cent) distribution formula in favour of Edo State oil/gas producing/host communities.


” That 70% (seventy per cent) to 30% (thirty per cent) distribution formula be made standard practice in the Ministry’s future budgeting and/or appropriation.
(iii) That a mechanism be instituted for Needs Assessment in the relevant oil/gas producing/host Communities.


” That the Minister and/or the Ministry re-commit itself to the envisioned rapid transformation of oil/gas Communities in Edo State and the whole of Niger Delta region”, he stated.


It will be noted that the communities in Edo South Senatorial District where oil deposits are located includes Ikpoba-Okha, Orhionmwon and Ovia North-East.


He explained that these communities are irked by the capital projects appropriation of the Ministry of Niger-Delta Affairs.sttrssing that the letters and spirit of the said budget offend clearly the core mandate of the Ministry, as it concerns the interest of the aforementioned oil/gas host communities.

Related posts

121 ex-Staff of NCAC Reinstated by Court Order

Dayo Omoogun

Breaking! Controversial Adamawa REC, Hudu Ari, Arrested……Other Suspected Collaborators Under Interrogation 

Dayo Omoogun

Corruption: HEDA Urges ICAN to Sanction Conniving Members

Dayo Omoogun

Leave a Comment